The art of making desserts has always revolved around classic flavors like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry. But there’s something in the tropical flavors of coconut which enrich desserts with flawless culinary elegance. While desserts like tres leches, coconut macaroons and cream pies are always counted as the ultimate gourmet coconut desserts, there’s something in the dainty coconut cupcakes which tempts me the most. Its appeal lies in the simplicity of the rich yet subtle coconut flavor and yummy, fluffy, moist texture. So when taste buds are bored of ordinary cupcakes treat them with the goodness of its coconut counterparts and feel the bliss!
A modest coconut-laced frosting does perfect justice to my favorite dessert. While I love them with some toasted coconut shreds strewn on top, my kids are all for a dash of melted chocolate. I also top them up with vibrant malted milk balls for a hint of color. It makes my kids so happy, and me too!
Yields: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (without the cream)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
For the frosting:
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Melted chocolate
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F and place a paper liner within each of 12 muffin tins.
- Stir the baking powder and salt into flour until well combined and set aside.
- Finely ground the shredded coconut in a blender and stir into the dry mixture; keep aside.
- Place the butter in a separate large mixing bowl and blend in the sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until creamed into light, fluffy goodness.
- Add 1/3 of the dry mixture alternating with half of coconut milk and beat them into the creamed batter until all the ingredients are used up to form a uniform, smooth batter.
- Drop small portions of this batter into the lined tins until ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes into moist, golden perfection.
- Take them out of the hot oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Transfer the cupcakes on a wire rack and continue to cool them completely.
- For the frosting, cream the butter in a clean bowl with a stand mixer at medium-speed for 5 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and whisk in the sugar gradually until fully incorporated.
- Increase the speed back to medium-high and blend in the extracts until well combined.
- Continue to beat the frosting for a couple of minutes or until light and airy.
- Scoop a large dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake and drizzle melted chocolate on top.
- Scatter few strands of coconut flakes on it or top it up with colorful malted milk balls.
Serve and enjoy!
This article is a kind contribution by Marianna Kottnauer, founder, HappyLabel.cz